Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

One thing life has taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I dined with a friend yesterday who bestowed upon me the gift of a necklace, a tiny piece of bamboo dipped in gold and threaded onto a red string. The purpose of the necklace is to make a wish when fastening it and to wear it until the string breaks, at which point your wish will be ready to come true. Wishes are a funny territory for me; after being raised atheist, I am very skeptical of anything I can’t prove. However, I am also wildly romantic (as cited in the beginning of the blog) and my desire to believe in such things propels me forward, though I remain doubtful in the back of my mind. After dining, we returned to her house to watch the Bollywood film “Don” with Shah Rukh Khan. I adore Bollywood films because they are overflowing with music, dancing, colors, and beautiful women. Which are all things I like. And speaking of dancing, Jane, Zelda, and I are having a “dead celebrities” party wherein the guests are invited to dress as their favorite dead celebrity and the manner in which they died. I am considering Wendy O. Williams though Zelda has some odd desire for me to dress as Marilyn Monroe.

On the library science front, I have completed all my discussion posts and assignments for the government documents class. My full attention is now turned toward the internet applications class, for which this blog was initially created. Bravo to me and my (for once) wonderful group members.

My newest word acquisition is eudaimonia, to have a flourishing life. I learned it in the June issue of Psychology Today, in an article about being “authentic”. Try using it in a sentence.

“Of course it’s possible to love a human being if you don’t know them to well”
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead”
“An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”
-all from Charles Bukowski (not the cat)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your dead celebrities party reminds me of several years back when Kim used to work at the Ed Debevic's in Phoenix. They had a dead celebrities week where all the wait staff had to dress up as dead celebrities. Kim dressed as Marcel Marceau. He was not yet dead at the time, but no one ever called her out on it...