Friday, June 27, 2008

Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare. - de Maupassant

“She could feel the water seeping through her skin, the droplets turning into tiny silver coins that jingled as she moved” – Nick Bantock

Jane laughed at me when she got home from work last night. I was sitting on our couch/bed in the living room eating watermelon and watching “Metalocalypse”. And laughing uproariously at all the metal jokes. It’s true, I am a closet metalhead. Not so closet really though. I love bands like Diabolical Masquerade, Satyricon, Melechesh, Dimmu Borgir, Old Man’s Child, Dying Fetus – the list goes on and on. I prefer black to death, symphonic to noise, the terminology is near infinite. My good friend Tom Banjo is a huge metalhead and got me into it in college, when he played in a band call Thrones of Scorn. There is nothing more soothing after a long day of yelling at squirelly kids than an extended scream courtesy of Bethlehem. This doesn’t in any way impact my love of disco and other super-gay dance music, it is just a supplement.

On to library related things. Today I added a Twitter widget to my blog, another step in my developing knowledge of internet applications. If you haven’t explored it, the service is just a way to keep your intimates updated with developments in your life in a bite-sized portion. I have seen it on http://www.kawaiinot.com, one of my favorite cartoons online and decided to finally take the plunge. Another site I interacted with today is http://www.graphjam.com where users can submit their own humorous graphs for inclusion on the website. I submitted a Smiths-based bar graph, I hope it will be included. These graphs can make me laugh aloud. But now I need to stop ignoring the fact that a huge pile of reading for my last week of government documents awaits my attention and so I sign off –

“it has been given to few mortals, eyes which witness the dance of desert dervishes – ‘Joshua Trees’ – in arboreal ecstasy – ashiver in a sheen of melligenous moon of Mojave” – George Herriman, author and illustrator of the “Krazy Kat” comic strip

No comments: