Wednesday, July 9, 2008

We're all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

I need to make one thing very clear – I detest children. I always have and they have always liked me, so it makes a perverse sense that I am a children’s librarian. However, I do believe that in choosing to have one, you have a lifetime responsibility to put that person that you created first over everything else. Which is why I am so unhappy this morning at yet another example of parental neglect at the library. A girl who is under 2 years old is running around the library and her sister of about 7 is expected to mind her. When no one was paying attention, her short little legs ran off and fortunately not out the door but over to the adult side instead. No one noticed but me. And I only noticed because our computers are down. I walked over to find her and when I crouched with my arms outstretched, she ran into them. How dangerous is this? I am a stranger; she doesn’t know me at all yet trusted me completely. The sister came to find her and I walked them both back to the parent with a firm instruction to keep an eye on her, a challenge because she had a baby in her arms and therefore wasn’t as mobile as one need be to mind a toddler. No sooner had I returned to my desk than the little one ran over to me again. Am I the most attention she has gotten in some time? Nothing makes me feel misanthropic quicker than a morning like this. Not liking children aside, I still thing they are humans and therefore deserving of treatment with affection and respect.

Enough. I am reading a FABULOUS book called Swish: My Quest to Become the Gayest Person Ever and it is wonderfully funny and insightful. Jane is reading it simultaneously and we are both enjoying it. We also both read Sex and Bacon which is an absolutely brilliant and sybaritic read in addition to being so applicable, Jane copied out a quote and affixed it to the fridge because it reminded her of me. Magnificent. Now I will start reading the technology issue of School Library Journal, both because it interests me and because it may have some useful information for my final class.

I miss stars. That is a huge drawback to the lights of Vegas.

The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago, had they happened to be within reach of predatory human hands. - Havelock Ellis

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars... - Jack Kerouac

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that the Pied Piper didn't much like children either. Unless he was also fond of rats