Saturday, July 19, 2008

Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. - Poe

When the time comes for Google to rule the planet, I will lay down and let it (them?). Since I began this blog, I discovered iGoogle, as mentioned previously. I continue to tweak my iGoogle page to ensure that all my needs are being met, including my most recent addition of a comparative cost-of-living calculator as I fantasize about leaving Vegas and wonder if I could afford to live elsewhere. This Google obsession drew me into getting a Gmail account, since my beloved Sam has one and now we can chat while we are both at work. Then I explored Google Reader and now have feeds on my iGoogle page to update me on all my favorite sites. Finally, Google Documents. No longer will I fall prey to the tyranny of the flash drive ruling my life by requiring me to carry it at all times. Now I can access my work any time from any Internet connected computer. So frankly, Google has won my heart completely though Sam does have concerns about privacy invasion BUT I say small price to pay. Also, in a School Library Journal article I read, I learned a Google search can be limited by using the term "site:gov" or "site:edu" or anything to establish what type of source is sought. One would imagine I would have learned this already in 2 years of library school but . . .

I can't wait for work to end today because I have dinner plans with Jane then we will arise early to go swimming, a pleasure that is so regressive in the absolute enjoyment of it. Onward to sunshine and lots of sunscreen and good friends.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air…
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments: