Friday, July 25, 2008

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Again, School Library Journal has made me the happiest little techno-kitten in the Internet yarn shop. July's issue has a long article about Twitter, one of my new applications with which to experiment and has inspired me to do two things: 1) work to get Twitter added to my library district's homepage, and 2) begin a folder with articles that further my professional development in the library field. The article gives tips on using Twitter, a list of the most followed librarians on Twitter (a new aspiration of mine!), and Twitter tools and mashups to be used for enhancements. Marvelous fun for experimentation. And ladies? Jane, Zelda, Sam, R. Batty? I expect you to get involved here.

I started reading a book called Water Cooler Diaries that follows a work day for a variety of women across America. It is mind-blowing to see the variety in women's days between states and occupations and pursuits. I love reading feminist and feminine literature, even the occasional chick-lit but mostly of the classic variety, like Valley of the Dolls or Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. I have read countless tomes on the female experience, like Ophelia Edut's collections of essays on body image or essays about quinceneras or anything unique to women. Perhaps it is because I am a lesbian (sorry to the islanders in Greece who so object to sharing this term!) or perhaps it is just because I love and value women as a feminist but either way, it is just good.

To fall in love is to create a religion that has a fallible god. - Jorge Luis Borges

4 comments:

RNP said...

I have resisted Friendster, MySpace, Facebook, and countless other networky internet trends. It is enough that I have a blog. Your Twittery experiments shall have to carry on without me.

Curmudgeonly yours,
R. Batty.

BiblioFemme said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BiblioFemme said...

Twitter is a blog, spazzy. A "micro-blog". Consider it an accessory that is always in style.

RNP said...

Bah, the world has already been reduced to 15 second viral videos, snapshots, and sound bites. I continue to resist your trendy little "micro-blogging." Now for the last time, you young whippersnappers better get off my front lawn before I turn the sprinklers on ya!