Saturday, June 14, 2008

Punk jokes are hilarious to very few (but I'm one of the few!)

Q: What has 8 arms and kills its girlfriend? A: Squid Vicious. Ha!
Q: How many Rudeboys does it take to screw in a light bulb? A: 4. One to drop it and 3 to "pick it up! pick it up! pick it up!"

Okay, enough. I am in a quandary regarding my upcoming story time. Our library district is, for the first time, celebrating GLBT Pride month. This is incredibly excited and I am delighted to have been on the committee to ensure its’ occurrence. However, I have already heard complaints from others in the library district that I will be pushing a homosexual agenda on unsuspecting children. This is wrong for many reasons but I shall list 1) there is NO agenda that homosexuals have to trap any unsuspecting heterosexuals in some sort of weird deprogramming ritual, 2) the kids who attend the program will most likely be the children of gay parents and therefore are already WELL AWARE of homosexuality, 3) it is a district-wide recognition of gay pride! I will not create a trajectory rant on gay rights or any other social or political issue in this blog but I feel that is relevant to my experiences as a Sin City librarian.

Writing this blog reminds me of my first time in college at UCSD when I was so involved in the radio station (KSDT) and the associated “scene”. It was a very different experience than the ecampus program in which I am currently enrolled and I find I prefer the latter. San Diego taught me I hate surfers and quite enjoy artists (but I had my suspicions in that regard anyhow). I had a pink Mohawk and piercing though I grew out of both. I also picked up a lot of fabulous new bands and music knowledge that has served me well (like at the eviction party the Locust threw). I am grateful for the experience and pleased that it is behind me. This segues nicely into my musical therapy theory – music can always change your mood. Songs that will always make me happy, no matter how behind the couch I feel (ask Jane about “behind the couch”): Madness’ “One Step Beyond” (this is also to be played at Jane’s funeral, it’s a pact we have), Erasure’s “Oh l’Amour”, Madonna’s “Hung Up” (how to make ABBA and Madonna gayer? Mix them together!), the theme from the Bollywood movie Dhoom 2 “Dhoom Again”, the Stooges’ “I Wanna Be Your Dog”, the Specials “Monkey Man”, and anything from the Misfits (only with Danzig singing). Post a comment, what’s your happy song?
- BiblioFemme
"Until you've lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was" - Margaret Mitchell
"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it" - the divine Mae West

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anything by AC-DC (especially "For Those About To Rock" since it reminds me of my wedding), "Hey Ya!" Outkast, and "Hips Don't Lie" Shakira all make me happy. And of course "Istanbul was Constantinople, now its Istanbul not Constantinople...".