Thursday, June 12, 2008

S-T-A-U-N-C-H

"I tell you if there's anything worse than dealing with a staunch woman... S-T-A-U-N-C-H. There's nothing worse, I'm telling you. They don't weaken, no matter what." - "Little Edie" Bouvier Beale in Grey Gardens

Required by a class in my final semester of my MLIS program at UNT, I have begun a blog about being a Young People's Librarian in Sin City. Rising like a phoenix from the smoking wreckage of my past, I am curious to create this outlet and see how the experience will develop. My truths? I am very nearly (see me August 8, 2008) a librarian. I am a voracious reader. I am gay and an enthusiast of roller derby, burlesque, and bellydancing. I have a lot of tattoos including several designed from comics by R. Crumb and George Herriman. I share my house with 4 cats: Allen Ginsberg, Charles Bukowski, Zzyzx, and Icarus. And I have 2 fabulous roommates whom I shall henceforth refer to by their imposed pseudonyms: Jane (for Jane Birkin) and Zelda (for the name Marilyn Monroe used when checking in to hotels). The following is a quote from Allen Ginsberg that seems appropriately updated by replacing the word "poetry" with "blog": "Poetry is the one place where people can speak their original human mind. It is the outlet for people to say in public what is known in private."

I am not a writer, beyond research papers, but rather a consumer of what is written. I like to collect quotations from myriad sources and save them in a journal. I have a color-coded planner that never leaves my side and my books are all sorted in a method similar to the Library of Congress cataloging. I am bossy and a know-it-all show-off; I am selfish and well-aware of my own shortcomings. I am just shy of becoming a crazy cat lady. That said, I am looking forward to the upcoming interactions with this blog.

- BiblioFemme

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the guard keeps calling our place of employment a "liberry."

uh oh...i think he just read what i typed.