Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I feel there is an angel in me, whom I am constantly shocking. - Cocteau

Our next assignment for class is to interact with Flickr, something I have never done. After extensive research on folksonomies and the Semantic Web for other classes, I am well aware of Flickr but amazingly have yet to visit it. I am such a Luddite at times. I refused for as long as possible to get a cell phone but am now completely addicted to text messaging. I still find actual vocal interaction distasteful but endure it. HOWEVER – I had some incredibly delightful interaction with my mother via phone when she called to offer financial assistance in the form of a loan to repair my air conditioner. As it was over 100 degrees for the last week and up to 93 degrees in the house, this offer could have saved the lives of my cats. Now I am wallowing in delightfully cooled air and able to again focus on my schoolwork.

Government Documents is more interesting than I anticipated and I have learned a lot of fascinating things. Like the Federation of American Scientists (FAS.org) exists. This is a group of scientists formed by some who had worked on the Manhattan project to keep the public and policy makers informed about the developments in the scientific field. Intriguing. I also learned about NASA’s qualifications for being an astronaut – surprisingly not as difficult as one might imagine. Or one might hope for, now that I consider it.

I have a new favorite word: sprezzatura. Italian term for “the art of effortless mastery”; this is a concept of great importance to me as I expect to just be able to naturally do things I have never done before. Sometimes I am successful, like with French-braiding my own hair. Sometimes I am less successful, like with my cataloging class and working with the AACR2. I did reach cataloging mastery but it was certainly not effortless. I am always shocked when I encounter something I am unable to execute immediately, as I apparently have a reckless self-confidence and assume I am completely invincible. Though I do have an Achilles’ heel – my astonishing lack of common sense. This ties in with my tendency toward romanticizing and forgoing necessities for luxuries, quite like the Dorothy Parker quote from the last post. I have been seeking quotes as of late, 1) because I like them and 2) because the Bunny is taking a psychology class on motivation and is required to collect motivational quotes. My favorite of her selections and also the title of a fabulous YA book is “Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you.” I haven’t a clue who said it but the Bunny enjoys it so much that she plans to have it tattooed on her wrist. I of course think this is a brilliant idea. She never ceases to amaze me. Another quote I found in my searches was a Dorothy Parker, “I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do any thing. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more.” And I don’t bite my nails anymore, unless under extreme duress. Another Zelda Fitzgerald (why did her husband get all the attention?) “She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn’t boring.” Fabulous women, these. Another source of great quotes is the movie “The Women” from which Jane and I get the designator “jungle red” for really delicious gossip. And now to end the post and return to my desk in the monkey house. I can’t wait until elementary school is back in session.

-BiblioFemme

No comments: