Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Thing 17! A real sandbox would have been more fun . . .

A wiki could be very useful for the library district. For the Youth Services Librarians, we could have shared storytime and craft ideas, to be edited by all to create the best possible resource. I love the collaborative nature of Google Docs, allowing the participation of multiple authors in a single document but again I return to the issue of authority control. i don't like when things degenerate into a bunch of nonsense. Like many of the posts during my schooling, that started as a student asking the professor a homework question, devolving into a series of chatter about children or just "yes" and "i agree". People seem to value their own input far more highly than is appropriate. That being said, yay Wiki!

1 comment:

San said...

This is where online classes are failing (in my opinion). The incessant chatter that takes place for everyone else to see - when really that sort of thing should be kept between the people yammering on in a more private realm - like email or a separate chat room. I have been wary of wikis, however, now that I am using them more I see that they are beneficial. It's critical for people who contribute to wikis to have common goals in regard to not only what they are writing but also the audience.