Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"You will do foolish things but do them with enthusiam" - Colette

Reference department, how can I help you?

"I need . . . a computer, to know from whom the US bought Alaska, the 2008 budget of the US Dept of Education, help using my Bissell vacuum, to know why I was kicked out and treated like a g-d criminal"; these are some of the questions I answered yesterday. I am most definitely not in YPL anymore. And surprisingly I miss it. That was not anticipated, since I have historically hated kids my entire life, even when I was one. But miss it I do and that is why I am so pleased that this reference position is only temporary. This is not a fact my supervisor is aware of just yet. I had to drive to Barstow on Monday to have my fingerprints taken for the required background check, a trip involving the Mad Greek, blasting tests at the military base, and waiting for the bail bonds lady to show up at the office. Barstow: always a treat. Now I just have to wait until all the paperwork arrives in the new district's HR office to get a start date and I am GONE.

I am getting teary-eyed at the prospect of leaving my loved ones in Vegas. Jane and Zelda have become so intrinsic that I can't imagine not being able to drag them to an all-night dinner for crisis consultation. A wonderful and once very close friend whom I shall refer to as "Tink" just moved back here and I am dismayed at not being able to resume our relationship. And who will have Mumbai Mondays with me? My Bollywood friend and I collaborated on a fantasy roller-derby team called the "Bindi Bruisers" and chose the names "Aishwarya Slay" (me) and "Rani Make-'em-flee" (her). For those not obsessed with India, those names are based on the popular actresses Aishwarya Rai and Rani Mukherjee. I was also thinking "Suttee Widow" would be a great name, especially if she painted flames on her skates. This idea is developing into a programming idea for my new library as well but more on that later. Now I call for comments; what would your roller-derby name be? Check out any number of teams' websites to get a feel for it or the YA book by Cross called "Derby Girl".

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different. - Coco Chanel

3 comments:

Sublimefemme said...

Seriously, I have no idea how you librarians do it. My fabulous librarian has rescued me from more than a few research jams, including one related to French copyright law. If you decide to move into a second career, you can always find work as a detective, I'm sure!

Thx for your comment over on my blog. Would love to hear back from you!

xo Sf

Sublimefemme said...

To clarify: I left you a query on my blog, and I'd love to hear back from you about it.

Sublimefemme said...

Hi, Thx for explaining what you meant. Re your "children" comment, you know I'm a professor, right?

Beauty + brains is what I'm all about, so I definitely agree that busting up stereotypes is always fun!

xo Sf