Thursday, September 11, 2008

There is nothing better than birthday cake. It's like a slice of concentrated love with buttercream frosting.

from Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata

Or in my case fruit on top, since my beloved roommates presented me with a tres leches cake, my absolute favorite. Indeed, it is my birthday and I am pleased to welcome my 28th year. I am completely ready to release the age 27 to the ether that absorbs one's past because it was not my finest year. But I greet this birthday with wonderful and loving friends who, against their better judgment, presented me with 2 Bollywood movies to feed my Indian addiction. One of the two stars the divine Aishwarya Rai, for whom I am still holding out. I enjoyed a shower with black licorice scented body wash (another gift) and carried my library books back to work in my Indian-themed tote (from my Mumbai Monday friend). I always make it a point to call my mom on my birthday and offer my thanks for giving birth to me. I am rather indebted to her for that, I suppose. Sam and R Batty sent cards perfectly suited to my taste; they both managed to make me laugh aloud with their selections. I joined ALA with a birthday check from my grandparents and am now a full-fledged member, hooray! Thank you to everyone who made my birthday so delightful so far.

I like birthdays, as I like New Year's Eve or the first day of a month, as an good place to start a new chapter. Give me some comments, what do birthdays mean to you?

A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday but never remembers her age.
- Robert Frost

No comments: