Sunday, November 23, 2008

Wear the old coat and buy the new book. - Austin Phelps

I have read myself into exhaustion. I finished "This Is All", an 800 page teen fiction pillow-book style novel. It was wonderful. Well-written and engrossing and drew me into a very emotionally involved state. On Monday, I read "The Gargoyle" by Andrew Davidson, also extraordinarily well-written. The writing was exquisite (no, really) and the story was interesting but I hesitate to say it was a GREAT book. There is no rational reason for this. While we're at it, my week in reading. Also Monday, a Phyrne Fisher mystery set in the 1920s called "Cocaine Blues". Tuesday was "The Bust Guide to New Girl Order", a collection of articles published in the magazine. Wednesday I baked cookies and read "Swear to Howdy" a goofy but tender juvenile fiction and "Gold Fever" and "Sugar", two poorly written lesbian romances that I enjoyed assuaging my loneliness with, at least temporarily. Thursday I completed "Take Another Little Piece of My Heart", the follow-up memoir to Pamela Des Barres' "I'm With the Band". I prefer "Let's Spend the Night Together", her anthology of stories from groupies including Elvira and Tura Satana. I can't help it, I'm a sucker for busty brunettes. Friday was a silly '50s juvenile fiction, "While Mrs. Coverlet was Away". Saturday was the second teen fiction effort of Paul Zindel's daughter, "Secret Rites of Social Butterflies" which I felt fell as flat as her first attempt. Also, the very good and enthralling "Three Girls and Their Brother", a recently released frothy novel that had strongly written characters that took turns continuing a narrative.

Please bear in mind, this was a regular work week. I exercise daily, ran errands, even went out to see a band one night (and left shortly thereafter as jam bands are NOT my thing). I just read a lot and quickly. Voracious. I did learn a fabulous new word though: titivate. Meaning to put on the finishing touches. As in, "I'll be ready to go out as soon as I finish my titivation". Grand, isn't it?

I had to go to a horrible community council meeting, a meeting of the Friends group for our library, attend an elementary school's Family Reading Night, and host a magician's show. All in the space of under 24 hours. At least my work keeps me busy! I am gradually spreading roots into my new home city, an apt metaphor for the "city of trees". I finally have a home Internet connection, simplifying my life significantly. But for now, to bed. The impending cold and exhausting read have worn me out. Sweetest of dreams to all.


There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love. - Christopher Morley

Books...are like lobster shells, we surround ourselves with 'em, then we grow out of 'em and leave 'em behind, as evidence of our earlier stages of development. - Dorothy L. Sayers

1 comment:

Nerdyn8ivegurl said...

Your Christopher Morley quote made me smile, then I felt fuzzy inside. I miss you! I will be calling later this week, I have some very unfortunate news. I'm also watching Baabul again because Rani Mukerji makes me giddy. You still have to e-mail me your new address. <3